Heidi Hennink-Kaminski joined the faculty in 2006. She teaches marketing, strategic communication and social marketing courses and also serves as the senior associate dean for graduate studies.
Her research focuses on interdisciplinary health communication with an emphasis on the social marketing approach to promote healthy behavioral changes among individuals and communities. This work involves conducting formative research with target audiences to understand the health behavior issue at hand from their perspective, which in turns informs the development and testing of theoretically-based messages and intervention platforms. Interventions are then evaluated upon conclusion.
Hennink-Kaminski’s research has been funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the National Institutes of Health’s National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, The Doris Duke Charitable Foundation, and the Blue Cross Blue Shield Foundation of North Carolina. She also serves as a Core Faculty member of the Injury Prevention Research Center (IPRC) at UNC-Chapel Hill.
Prior to academia, Hennink-Kaminski accumulated 15 years of professional experience in senior marketing communications roles in both corporate and agency positions. She has authored book chapters on telecommunications marketing and transnational advertising and has published in Science Communication, Social Marketing Quarterly; the Journal of Current Issues and Research in Advertising; Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly; Sexuality and Culture; and Health, Culture and Society.
Hennink-Kaminski is a recipient of school’s David Brinkley Teaching Excellence Award and the Edward Vick Prize for Innovation in Teaching.
- Ph.D., University of Georgia
- M.A., Western Michigan University
- B.A., University of Michigan
- Hennink‐Kaminski, H. J. (In press). Media and telecommunications marketing. In R.A. Gershon, Media Management and Telecommunications: Industry Structures and Planning Strategies. (pp. TBD). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Hennink‐Kaminski, H. J. (2009). Telecommunications marketing. In R.A. Gershon, Telecommunications & Business Strategy. (pp. 321‐339). New York, NY: Taylor & Francis.
- Hennink‐Kaminski, H. J., Willoughby, J. F., & McMahan, D. (In press). Join the conquest: Development of a campaign to increase participation in clinical research in North Carolina. Science Communication.
- Pecot‐Hebert, L. & Hennink‐Kaminski, H. J. (2012). “I did it for me!” Negotiating Identity and Agency. Health, Culture & Society.
- Hennink‐Kaminski, H. J., & Reichert, T. (2011). Using sexual appeals in advertising to sell cosmetic surgery: A content analysis from 1986 to 2007. Sexuality and Culture, 15(1), 41‐51.