Don and Barbara Curtis Excellence Fund for Extracurricular Activities
The Don and Barbara Curtis Excellence Fund for Extracurricular Activities supports undergraduate majors in the School of Media and Journalism who participate in meaningful out-of-class activities that will help them in their careers. Applications are due and reviewed at the end of each month — August through March — during the academic year.
Any undergraduate major admitted to the school may apply for funding. If an application is selected to receive funding, the amount will depend on the nature of the proposal. No single proposal will receive more than $1,000, but most awards will be less in order to provide funding to as many students as possible. Students cannot receive funding for post-graduation activities.
Activities available for funding include:
- Registration and travel expenses for media- and journalism-related workshops, conferences, competitions, etc.
- Working on a major story, documentary or project that requires travel.
- Participating in group trips to major U.S. cities sponsored by MJ-school organizations such as the Ad Club.
- Internships in a media- or journalism-related field. (Please see exclusions below)
- Expenses for student organizations whose accounts are managed by the MJ-school. The organization’s president should submit the application.
Due to donor wishes and limitations on funding available each year, the Curtis Fund does NOT support the following:
- Class-related expenses, such as travel to London or China for global immersion courses.
- Post-graduation activities, including internships and conference attendance.
- Internships in the Triangle-area or in a student’s hometown.
- Internships not focused on media or journalism.
- Student organizations whose accounts are not managed by the MJ-school.
- Equipment purchases.
To apply, MJ-school students must submit an online application. Applications are due and reviewed at the end of each month — August through March — during the academic year. All applicants must be undergraduate majors admitted to the school. MJ-school minors are not eligible for funding. Funds are not provided for applications received after the activity has occurred.
For questions, please contact Louise Spieler, senior associate dean for strategy and administration, at firstname.lastname@example.org.