Don and Barbara Curtis Excellence Fund for Extracurricular Activities
NOTE: The Cole Campbell Professional Development Fund and Patricia Miller Moore Award are also administered through the Curtis Fund application process.
The Don and Barbara Curtis Excellence Fund for Extracurricular Activities supports undergraduate majors in the School of Media and Journalism who participate in meaningful out-of-class activities that will help them in their careers.
Any undergraduate major admitted to the school may apply for funding. If an application is selected to receive funding, the amount will depend on the nature of the proposal. No single proposal will receive more than $1,000, but most awards will be less in order to provide funding to as many students as possible. Students cannot receive funding for post-graduate activities.
Activities available for funding include:
- Registration and travel expenses for media- and journalism-related workshops, conferences, competitions, etc.
- Working on a major story, documentary or multimedia project that requires travel.
- Participating in the MJ-school’s networking trips to major U.S. cities to meet and gain insights from alumni.
- Internships in a media- or journalism-related field. (Please see exclusions below)
- Non-operating expenses for student organizations housed in the School of Media and Journalism, including CABJ and PRSSA. The organization’s president should submit the application.
Due to donor wishes and limitations on funding available each year, the Curtis Fund does NOT support the following:
- Class-related expenses, such as travel to London or China for global immersion courses.
- Post-graduation activities, including internships and conference attendance.
- Internships in the Triangle-area or in a student’s hometown.
- Internships not focused on media or journalism.
- Student organizations not housed in the MJ-school.
- Equipment purchases.
To apply, MJ-school students must submit an online application. Applications are due and reviewed at the end of each month — August through March — during the academic year. All applicants must be undergraduate majors admitted to the school.
For questions, please contact Louise Spieler, senior associate dean for strategy and administration, at firstname.lastname@example.org.